Do you want to learn English? Have you always wanted to improve your English skills? Have you been studying for a while but are still struggling to understand the language? Well, if any of these are true, then this article is for you. With some basic knowledge of the language and an effective strategy, it is possible to start learning English at any age step by step.
How to learn English Step by Step?
As we all know, to learn English means to learn its four skills: Speaking, listening, writing, and reading. Each skill has its own way to be learned effectively and in the best way. Let’s start with the steps to improve our English language in general.
Improving your English speaking steps
The English speaking skills are developed through a process that is called, in layman’s terms, acquisition of the language. While acquiring the skill you have to start with specific words and phrases which will allow you to fine-tune your subject understanding before going on to tackle sophisticated vocabulary. The basic things that one should know about improving your spoken English include:
Attend English courses and discussions
English learners can use the internet to learn English through online classes and videos. If you are genuinely interested in learning English, do not go for the classes offered by different companies only but attend free discussions where people have nothing to lose and can express their true feeling about any topic that comes into mind.
Use everyday English sentences to express yourself
If you have been learning English for a long time then the following advice is not exactly for beginners but if anyone has been practicing it well even after a year, he can succeed in communicating his ideas to English speakers.
Improve your pronunciation as much as you can
Learning English for such a long time will increase your chance of making mistakes and these mistakes can be corrected if you use the best pronunciation. There are so many ways to improve it by practicing, but one thing is certain – try as much as possible to listen properly without any stops in between and at least pronounce every word correctly with the correct inflection often used in spoken English.
Learn grammar, vocabulary, and idioms
If you have a lot of time, try to learn from textbooks and other resources. As confident as one can be when using the language in his day-to-day life he should also be aware that it is not enough but still reading lots of material would provide him with confidence in English pronunciation which will make learning more interesting.
Use colloquial phrases which are commonly used by natives of a language
Native speakers will be familiar with common expression idioms or phraseology which they often use to communicate their understanding and interpretation of words easily.
Keep a dictionary in your pocket at all times
If you have one book in your pocket at the time, then it will be very helpful for improving your accent whenever you are talking about any topic.
Steps to improve your English listening
Here are very interesting listening steps to improve your overall language skills in relationships with others including learning how to listen properly. First of all, listening is a skill, and let’s take a look at some common grammar expressions that every native speaker uses every day.
- Listen to English news reports, listen to the English news on the radio or television, and work on your listening skills.
- Listen more carefully to new words and expressions, repeat them a lot, listen to films just after each word or phrase, pause the film and write down what you understood.
- Watch tv shows and programs and pause each new word, phrase or expression. Write them down so you can revise later and learn more about them with time.
- Record yourself speaking on video files/audios using your computer then check your listening, don’t be afraid of doing mistakes, and correct them by learning their right pronunciations.
Steps to improve your English reading
Many English learners will choose to read the news on the paper daily, therefore this is a very important skill. The more you do so being aware of your spelling mistakes it’s better for your hard work. It’s highly recommended that whenever possible try saving hours of frustration by printing or downloading newspaper articles onto PDF files which can easily be opened with Adobe Reader software.
- Read books, magazines and articles in English a lot. Even though they will not directly help you when it comes to speaking English, this is very important in ensuring that your reading skills are high enough when wanting or needing to use them for communicating with native speakers.
- Read many different topics and expand your knowledge on the whole of English and different cultures.
- Use applications that use English to help you read, for example, Readmill.
- Have a word per day that adds to your vocabulary and have it in mind before going abroad so it can be used easily when necessary later on.
Steps to improve your English writing
Although it is easy for some people to answer questions in English, they may not be able to hand in a formal assignment. Therefore, when attempting an essay or report that consists of writing with correct grammar and vocabulary patterns you will find it easier if your work is punctuated with errors. Proofread all written sentences before sending them off using the methods suggested above. This will prove better practice for your future use of written communication skills in general as well.
- Write sentences in English in your diary about your everyday or plans or emotions this will be useful for improving your writing skills.
- Don’t use misleading language.
- Put down your ideas about the future in English to improve fluency.
- Always make sure there are always ENGLISH resources at hand when studying. Remember that if you do not understand something or need help with anything other than reading it’s better to ask someone who is more fluent.
Here is some advice for English learning
- Practice as much as you can.
- Be motivated always.
- Don’t give up.
- think in English.
- Have friends who can speak English.
- Surround yourself with positive supportive people.
But why can I understand others when they speak, but I can’t talk?
This is the most frequented question that learners ask. Don’t worry dear learners, it is just because of lack of interaction in English. Let’s say that when a person in Arabic says to you “What time is it?” You don’t respond, and after a minute or two, the other person will repeat the question in English. But this time you’ll answer right away because one thing has changed: now your partner knows what particular language she should be speaking. This interaction leads to improvement of fluency by allowing instant communication whenever needed which becomes important for students who have classes with native speakers.
Why I can’t remember words that I have been learning?
This is because you don’t use them, Practice, practice and practice. Also, my friends who speak English never forget it. so try to talk with them by writing about what you learn, remembering the important things and repeating them over again.
I don’t want to follow up learning anymore, I cant. This is what most learners say at the first failure, keep trying you will do it. Learning English is simple and easy and you can make it funny and effective by following the mentioned above steps.