English is the most widely spoken language in the world. Although it is considered a “universal” language, its use is not common in many parts of the world. Many learners around the world are learning English for one reason or another and do not have to worry about acquiring its vocabulary or grammar. But some might find it difficult to learn English as they have never been exposed to it before.
Here is our list that will help you know what are your English skills and how to improve them:
1- Reading skills
You should first start with the ability to read. There are a few methods that help you in mastering this skill. The most famous method is called Drills. This involves making a list of things every time while practicing it using appropriate words like Animals, Food, and many more. This is the most common method used by students to memorize something, we have also included a link on improving reading skills.
How to improve your English reading skill?
- Read a lot.
- Use an English/English dictionary as it will help you to keep thinking in English and not translating.
- Read newspapers and magazines.
- Watch movies and TV shows with English translation.
- Read books that are written in English.
- Read stories that are about English topics.
2- Writing skills
English is a very important language that allows people to communicate with millions of others. English, in general, will make it easy for you if your vocabulary is also good as well. One way really helpful and effective in learning the words are by using flashcards, but there are other methods too such as making sentences and proper sentence structure.
Skills required for becoming an English writer are a good command of the language in which you want to write, strong grammatical skills, and understanding the basics of Search engine optimization.
How to improve your English writing skills?
- Read more books in English.
- Write reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Join an online course on the internet that teaches you how to write better or better yet sign up for a free trial with
- Udemy or The Great Courses and see if it’s something you like.
- Read articles from popular websites such as Forbes, Inc., Entrepreneur Magazine, Harvard Business Review and use their language patterns to help you write better in the future.
- Studying grammar rules so you know what words to use correctly.
- Memorizing common phrases like “my brother has arrived” or “I am sorry” so you don’t have to think too hard when writing them down.
3- Listening skills
The ability to speak a language is important and beneficial, but it gets you nowhere if you can’t understand what your speech partner is saying. Using additional tools such as audio lessons on courses, listening to online videos that teach the local tongue first, or hearing other speakers will help improve your speaking abilities in no time.
How to improve your English listening skills?
- Listen to news and radio programs that are in English
- Look for podcasts that have audio content only available in British English
- Try listening to English while you’re taking a shower or doing something else unrelated to listening like cooking or cleaning the house.
- Music is another helpful tool for learning new words and phrases through lyrics and song titles
- Podcasts and blogs are great for practicing grammar and vocabulary in a fun way.
- Audiobooks are great for improving comprehension and punctuation.
4- Speaking skills
Speaking in a native accent or language will not only be interesting to your company but also generate international recruiters, who’ll notice and check you out. You might even start getting calls from people searching for translators that speak foreign languages. These individuals usually know about the importance of having an integrated team with native translators and language specialists.
English speakers have accents, they also talk and laugh differently. So if you want to be a good English speaker don’t copy the accent of native speakers but try to imitate their way of talking and using English words in conversations.
How to improve your English speaking skills?
- Practice talking in front of a mirror or with a friend to improve your fluency and pronunciation.
- It is a great way to try to watch movies and TV shows in English
- Having as many conversations in English as possible and surrounding yourself with English social media, you can improve your spoken English skills.
- Expand your vocabulary and idioms.
- Don’t forget that listening is the key to speaking fluently.
Some advice helps you learn to master your English skills
If you are a beginner in language learning, you have to try this advice:
- Think in English.
- In your free time read in English a lot.
- Pay attention to stressed sounds.
- Sing along to English songs.
- Use a mirror.
- Focus on English fluency, not grammar.
- Learn phrases, not words or just new vocabulary.
- Keep notes on your mistakes.
- Explore English dialects.
- Apply the English language to all your smartphone apps.
1- How can I improve my English language every day?
Life. It’s all about life experience, we change every day and so does our language ability. Some days you’ll feel like an adult in English but other days it can become harder to remember new words.
2- How can I improve my English speaking skill at home fast and be like a native speaker?
Using the speed vs Flashlight Test and simply speaking more in English with family, friends, or colleagues will help you improve your vocabulary fast. Also, keep practicing every day with a friend of yours and ask him to tell you his favorite stories, then repeat them at home.
3- How do you improve English from intermediate to advance?
Speaking with many people. You’ll just realize that it’s not enough to meet only one professor and work on a few essays, you need to start speaking more often in different situations or right away travel abroad.
4- Which one of these is better: flashcards, mnemonics, or rote memorization?
Using all three types is better, they work together and they’re not so different. Here’s a valuable article explaining which one suits you best.
5- What is the best way to improve my English?
- Read a lot.
- Listen to English radio or TV.
- Join an English conversation group.
- Take online classes from a reputable school.
In conclusion, English is a language that will not be spoken perfectly by anyone. However, the more you practice and the more you learn about it, the better your English will become. In addition, the more you practice, the better your pronunciation will be. Finally, reading a lot is not only better for your English but it’s also beneficial to improve other subject matters that are taught in schools. And these tips will help you speak easily with people.