Our world is full of diverse languages. Languages are different from each other in various ways, but they are all distinct, with their own grammatical rules and vocabulary. We don’t know exactly how many languages there are on the planet, but it’s estimated that there are about 6,000 languages around the world. That means there are an estimated 7 billion people who speak at least one language! But let’s look at the specifics of the English Language.
Why learning English is important?
What does it take to be proficient in English? It doesn’t come easy, you need to know the following skills.
- Listening comprehension.
- Effective reading comprehension strategies.
- Writing (letter by letter, without any mistakes).
- Reading Comprehension.
- Understanding and speaking words.
Recommendations and considerations learners
The learners need to be aware of the English language in order for them to acquire a good command over it. The most common mistake that learners make is that they forget their native tongue while learning another one. In addition, there are also some mistakes made by the teachers when teaching their students about certain aspects of education.
Here are some factors learners should consider:
- Class: Most of the time, classes involve only a few students and they get little instruction from teachers. Students may feel that their attendance is not needed in class. This kind of scenario can push away learners even more because they would be left out of constructive learning.
- Teachers: English teachers tend to differ from each other in their teaching styles and techniques, but they all have the common goal of introducing what is new to learners. In most cases, these lessons are short-handed and limit learners’ participation in class discussions because there might not be sufficient time allotted for this.
- Class sizes are also important because bigger classes can discourage learners from attending. Learning alone may seem easy but it becomes more difficult when the learner is not allowed to talk or read alongside classmates at certain parts of a course work which will eventually affect their personality and will improve it or at least be less affected.
- Fear of what will be learned: Once a learner has finished the course considered, but is still not sure how it went, a lot of reasons can put them off from learning more on that subject. Some scenarios could be fear about exam questions while others may have doubts over whether they know enough information to pass the course.
- Other concerns that may have pushed learners away from further learning on a certain topic include not being able to read, write or understand what they are being taught even after going through all lessons and lectures by teachers.
- Language Delay: Learners who have been taught incorrectly from childhood, may find it difficult now in later stages because they have forgotten much or at least temporarily misplaced what they already knew before these terms.
- Easy: Most learners find learning challenging at first but eventually come to realize that there is nothing difficult about doing these activities on their own because the process only demands the proper placement of fingers or writing.
How to improve English!
1. Phonemic awareness
Phonemes are the smallest units making up spoken language. They individualize words by differentiating them for pronunciation. Phonemes help in uttering discrete sounds belonging to the same class, therefore reducing or eliminating ambiguous segments made up of similar sounds or predictable sequences. It is also the understanding that the sounds of spoken language work together to make words.
2. Vocabulary development
Vocabulary development refers to the knowledge of stored information about the meanings and pronunciations of words necessary for communication and the construction of coherent sentences. It sets forth to develop imitative, oral, and written skills through language activities such as stories, rhymes and proverbs revolving around themes devoted to social conscience or culture.
3 . Grammar development
Grammar development has been influenced by the teaching of language arts for some time now, with the incorporation of structure in many classrooms. With this development comes preparation through instruction before students are asked to write or speak their chosen forms orally. Grammar is controversial regarding its application to teaching languages though surrounding social literacy has begun to take shape using grammatical structures to enhance vocabulary development.
4. Reading fluency, including oral reading skills
Fluency is the ability to read words accurately and quickly, without any indication of disfluencies, such as repetition and hesitations. It is the ability to read at both a rapid and slow rate with correct form, without any recognition or awareness of errors made by personal preference.
Why does it important for me?
English learning can really open new doors for you.
Still not convinced? Then read on to learn just why it will make a difference in your life?
- Boost your career.
- Explore the globe.
- Enjoy the world’s culture.
- Meet new people
- Boost the knowledge of the world.
- Explore your employer’s industry.
- Experience another country, culture, and language.
To reach proficiency you should follow the next tips:
- The first topic is about the basics of grammar.
- The second topic is spelling and punctuation.
- The third topic is about the parts of speech in the English language.
- The fourth topic is nouns, pronouns, and adjectives in the English language.
- The fifth topic is about verbs in English, the pattern of infinitive verb and present tense verb form.
Finally, To finish our blog about the importance of English, here are some important points for you :
There is never an end to learning English because it has many benefits in later life.
By knowing the basics of English grammar and spelling early on, you can work on improving your writing.
If you want to jumpstart learning, take English classes today!
1- What are the benefits of learning English as a foreign language?
- Learning English as a foreign language can help you to develop your knowledge of the world.
- It will also help you build relationships with people from different countries and cultures which is beneficial for business development in the future.
- If you are planning on traveling abroad, learning English can be helpful when dealing with people who do not speak your native language or understand it well enough to communicate effectively.
2- What is most important in learning English?
The most important thing in learning English is to make sure that you can speak and understand English. You should also be able to write and read the language fluently.
3- Why learning English or why English is important for students?
English is important for students due to the fact that various fields of business require the ability to communicate in English. More so if you are planning on pursuing higher education or wanting a job with better prospects, achieving fluency in the language will have great benefits.
4- What can be done to develop fluency?
An increase in practice helps momentum build as well as provides greater time for mental processing between sentences that will eventually improve the speed of reading.
5-How do you practice for fluency? (for example, speed drill)
Reading assignments will be presented to students who must return the answers in English by showing what they understood, highlighting any errors made, and giving their opinion on whether or not it was correct.