Listening is the most effective way to learn a language and listening is a skill. However, you cannot just sit there and listen for hours. You have to put in the effort too. One of the best ways to do this is by watching videos online, or even better, by using an app that mimics your surroundings so you can learn without being distracted.
As we know that listening and reading skills are concerned as passive skills while writing and speaking are productive ones, so if you want to improve the speaking skills of the English language (listening and reading), it is very important that you consider practicing with activities like games.
Can You Learn a Language Just by Listening?
Learning English by listening is like learning any new language, and the title of this article “Can You Learn A Language Just By Listening” can be used for any language to learn. For example, if you want to learn Spanish, German or French, is listening will be enough for language learning as a learner? Can you get a full comprehension? Can you understand grammar? Can you tell others why this word’s pronunciation is different from its rule? And how to improve listening comprehension? many questions come to the learner’s mind when they start learning English or any other foreign language.
When you want to learn a language, the first and most important issue is to find a method that can help you. For English learning, I think people should put more attention to listening than reading because we only have 10 fingers, 5 senses ear for organ by tongue nasal cavities of our head. Our ears are very close to each other all around them participate in this enjoyment of sight organs production if selected appropriately also be able to support language work.
English learners can learn vocabulary by listening, reading, and English writing. But we still don’t know how to listen attentively enough so as the subject of interest happens in a lively way, using both ears can enjoy more flavors, and this is why you often find learners with poor skill at understanding English after learning for 7 or 10 years. And it’s not because they have low ability but they were lazy on practicing moving from passive skills such as listening to productive ones like speaking will need much effort.
TV shows and audio can be useful if learners listen thoroughly. It can also be beneficial to see sounds of spoken words in video dialogue. Once listening attentively, remember what you hear whether it is correct or not by following a method that makes language learning easier. There are many ways including the ” Top ten list” ( using the memory function of transistors) ‘method. So this will make learners more enjoyable studying English as if they already know the vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation skillfully perfect after all studying time.
That’s why listening and reading as passive skills are much easy and faster to master than other active skills. All we need is listening and reading English in the correct way, words or sentences are easy to remember if they are interesting no matter how terrible you sound. With this method, passive hearing of language will have more consistency, become a pleasure for using self-improvement instead of skillfully bad habits thinking it is just pleasure “however good”.
Learning English by Listening
Learners can improve their English learning by moving from passive to productive skills if they are seriously interested in learning English because passive listening can be boring while reading and writing are very time-consuming. So the most important way to improve the accents of learners is to apply all techniques at the same time or use described above according to the requirements of each learner, there should not no shortcut that’s why a better method will use more patience, care, and effort than other ones.
Grammar must be learned to be used correctly as much as possible in speaking English and writing, the most common error of learners is from grammar, it’s not to learn it but usually, those can be explained by using a phrase every time: “To hate Japanese grammar = knowing Chinese one”. Don’t worry about mistakes because even native speakers make them in their native language when they start studying the grammar of their first language.
Using listening skills are a good way in the learning process, English language learner can make it fun and active. And after a while, learners are going to learn other language skills such as writing and speaking, and here they can make the passive skills are productive skills.
So the important thing in learning English as a second language is by using the four skills to remember: listening, reading, writing, and speaking in that order or according to requirement. learners should use active listening skills, active reading skills, and productive speaking skills to learn English quickly.
Tips for a comprehensive listening practice
- Speakers should try to use sentences with mainly short syllables, fragments often are used perfectly well in speech because the main goal is talking fast without making too many pauses among native speakers who haggling if they want to answer.
- Listen carefully to yourself when you speak English, the idea is to understand every word that you said by listening more carefully and not letting correct or wrong information. In case of a newcomer makes mistake it’s very normal but their pronunciation should be corrected according to the way they speak at home.
- Speakers go for less repetition in speech because it’ll help them upgrade English vocabulary better, so talking will be easy without too much effort from learners who wants to minimize effort.
- Focus on new words, there is a limitation limit on the amount of information that’s given for native English speakers to learn new vocabulary. In practice learners should accept the new words as they understand them very well, at-home study learning material will give them all needed English vocabulary items that are important enough in daily life.
- Practice what you listen to, repeat spoken words by answering them in your own way, at the end of listening you should recall all learned words before using them.
- Listening for information or vocabulary is not necessary, while learning new English learners often watch TV shows and movies. They face problems when they can’t understand what’s happening on screen but their understanding will fully improve with time until it reaches their native language level of fluency.
- Internet is a good and easy way to improve listening by watching English movies, American TV series or even funny clips on YouTube. Start using it to broaden your vocabulary with pronunciation drills and new words.
- On watching YouTube, make sure that the audio is muted until you tested a little by little native speaker version of the video clip. There are many verbiage videos that are widely used all over the world either for learning a foreign language or improving stage reading skills.
Since English is the target language for most second language learners, learning motivation, goal setting, and time management can often be ineffective compared to other languages. This is for the reason that English vocabulary items are well known because it’s closely related to the native language could help learners improve their skills.
As we have seen, “Can you learn a language just by listening” can be answered in a short way “Yes” for learning basic and simple daily life things, while the long answer can be “Possible” if you work hard and use the four skills to be fluent in English.