English is the most widely spoken language in the world. And with its global reach, it can be difficult to pick up new words and phrases when you travel. But mastering the English language doesn’t have to be hard. Here are some tips on how to speak properly in English for your next trip abroad.
How to speak proper English?
1- Good listening
Make sure that you listen to your host nation’s native speakers, listening is a skill, especially when they are giving directions. This is good practice for discovering the common regional terms and lets you form correct pronunciation of unfamiliar words without bothering others with your bad accent or poor speaking skills. Avoid slang words and expressions wherever possible. Learn the unique vocabulary of other countries before you go there so that a) people will not judge your intelligence by how smartly you communicate, b) this way.
2- Fluency speech
Fluency is the stage of learning a language when things just “click.” it takes a lot of time and effort to reach this level, so many people don’t think it’s realistic. you have to start somewhere! of course, you can never get fluent overnight no matter how hard you try. Of start by listening to the host country’s native speakers when they are telling short stories or giving directions in crowded streets.
To improve your Fluency:
- Listen to your host country’s native speakers.
- Put yourself in their shoes. Try to imagine what it’s like for them to navigate the speak the English language.
- Learn about their history, traditions and culture Learn some basic phrases. Just remember that many of them are cultural slang or terms from the country’s native tongue.
- Practice with a friend.
- Try to speak with your home country’s speaking friends vocally/audibly as often as possible.
- Listen every day by taking an earphone and just listening to how they talk, you will be able to detect some words that slip away.
3- Use technology!
Nothing beats traveling especially if you are abroad. You may have heard about smartphone apps that will translate everything into the language of your choice, but do not underestimate them completely. They can come in handy when communicating with locals at restaurants, hotels, or even during travel excursions because they provide a secure means to communicate without having to worry about ambiguity or misinterpretations. It helps you through many applications.
Google translation is your best way to communicate since it is extremely simple to use, also google translate allows you to highlight certain words while translating them by using the text boxes provided. This will allow you to pick up on common phrases that are uncommon in other forms of communication.
4- Make friends
language skills can be developed more efficiently by spending some time learning to speak another language with someone you know.
This is the best way for people who do not have any extra free time at all, they can also benefit from their travelers or acquaintances’ experiences back home firsthand! New friends if they are English speakers can also be helpful because they can direct you on what’s really going around by using their internet accesses to look up topics in English.
Language learning is a process of acquiring new grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, voice and foreign accent. It involves many other things to make it easier for the learners to learn more words/ expressions through list memorization. When you are a beginner in this field then speaking about yourself by referring to grammar rules could be a challenging task but at a later stage, one becomes good at talking with proper grammar followed by comprehensive vocabularies which enhances the quality of their speech quickly or within few months.
6- Use what you’ve learned immediately
If there is one thing your brain enjoys, it is feeling useful. Our brains dislike wasting time with information we don’t use. Since you’ve spent so much time learning about the language, spend at least 10 or 15 minutes each day reviewing everything you know. Listen to native speakers and practice correcting your pronunciation. Once this drill is over, get up from the computer and go do something else with what just happened!
7- Listen to others as much as you speak
Many English learners struggle with speaking for three reasons Many English learners struggle with speaking for three reasons :
- Because they didn’t practice speaking English as much as their reading and writing skills. For example: If I go to a foreign country for six months, then come back and expect that my Spanish will still be “hothouse level” after all those teaching hours with the kids in the afternoon.
- Because they don’t visit other native speakers and listen to how their English sounds, compare it with theirs and consider their mistakes so that you can avoid them if potential collocations run through your mind.
8- Listen to yourself and get feedback from native speakers
Some English students are so shy and nervous that they postpone speaking indefinitely. If you want to be able to speak English fluently, now is the time.
- Don’t try speaking if you are tired or lazy.
- When role-playing another character in a TV show/book watch how the person speaks and repeat after them (Be careful that you are not sounding like them if your native language is different).
- Try recording yourself on a video camera, turn up the volume very loud, and listen to what you sound like. Use this as feedback with someone who knows English better than you do (I prefer my mother!).
9- Become visual
Visual learning is powerful – and increasingly popular. Research shows that images associated with words help us recall much more efficiently, and that means less difficulty speaking. Remember your pronunciation.
10- Use techniques of the “Vocabulary by Association”
Through the “Vocabulary by Association” system you should learn every word whose pronunciation would sound like the word. If the words look similar, make sure to write them all down on your phone/laptop (don’t use dictation software because it makes mistakes).
11- Narrate your life
Your brain is more likely to remember new vocabulary if you apply it to your own life and make it as personal as possible. For example, you will remember the words ‘take-out’ and ‘pizza’ if you talk about how once your family was on vacation in Greece.
In brief, to speak proper English the most important thing is to keep practicing, and that means making sure you don’t give up.
Most of the language learning methods are not effective for native English speakers because they do not take into account the difference between the two languages.
However, do you believe you would hear somebody say “I want to speak English because I want to be perfect”? Probably not! Always remember that your priority should be efficient communication, not perfection. Focus on getting your message across, and that means speaking as soon as you can and as much as you can.
What are some of the best ways to speak properly in English?
One of the best ways to speak properly in English is by using correct grammar.
– Speak with a good accent – It’s not necessary to speak with an American accent, but make sure you have a neutral accent.
– Take care of your voice – Avoid smoking, drinking, and screaming when speaking. If you’re going to do any of these things, do it quietly and briefly before speaking again.
– Listen carefully – Hearing people talk is a skill that needs practice!
Should I use British or American spellings when writing in English?
There is no rule of thumb when it comes to using British or American spellings. You can use either one in your writing.
However, there are some guidelines you should follow when writing a blog:
- If the essay is primarily about British English, then use British spelling throughout the text.
- If the essay is primarily about American English, then use American spelling throughout the text. Overall, there are no definite rules.
How does English help travelers go round the world?
- Learning English as a foreign language is more of a personal thing rather than another skill you carry along with your daily life activities.
- Traveling can sometimes be stressful enough without worrying about whether or not to use the new language being learned.
- In addition to being needed in the adventure, traveling can take on a new dimension that monotony normally does not have.
- It also helps you meet people from different places and cultures who may be able always to get help when needed without having to rely upon local people in question language travel is a worthwhile experience for anyone wishing to move about the world.
- The travel industry and tourism will continue to expand and be an ever more essential part of our lives hence we too will need greater skills in understanding other people’s languages in order not to raise barriers anxiety among different.
- Travel can be a personal endeavor to gain knowledge of other people and their way of life.