There is nothing like watching TV series to learn English. If you want to learn English, the TV series is a great tool. What do you need to know? Whether you watch them on Netflix or buy them on DVD, there are thousands of shows available. This article will help you get started with learning English with television.
If you’ve got Netflix, take advantage of it. It has many great shows that are created in English for international audiences who want to learn American or British but have never learned the language. You can binge them without worrying about watching anything too old or dated. Find your favorites! It is a perfect choice to learn English from TV series!
Learn English with TV series
Learning English with movies or TV series can be a fun and effective way to improve your language skills. By watching shows in English, you can practice listening comprehension, learn new vocabulary and expressions, and improve your pronunciation.
Additionally, TV series offer a window into English-speaking cultures, allowing you to learn about different customs, traditions, and ways of life. To get the most out of this approach, it is important to choose shows that match your level of proficiency and personal interests. You can also use subtitles and other language-learning resources to enhance your learning experience.
As a native speaker from the United States, one of the things that amazes me the most when I meet learners who have watched hundreds of hours of American TV shows, like Friends, is how culturally fluent they are. 1
5 Tips to Learn English with TV Series!
1- English Subtitles! (English serials with subtitles to learn English)
The trick to learning English with television is watching TV in English, listening to native speakers, or using subtitles to translate the speech if you are not able to understand it directly. As you learn more English by watching TV, try using subtitles. This way there’s no pressure to understand every word but they will give everything some context so you don’t hear words or phrases out of context.
Just keep in mind not all shows are in English. The trick with subtitled shows is to try to stay in the same language without subtitles when possible. That way, you can get a little context from what’s being said while still reading along.
Learning through television though is very good for pronunciation because the learner can actually hear the words spoken as they should be, as long as they know that they are watching American as opposed to British or vice versa. 2
2- Pick shows of Interest!
Let’s be honest, you probably don’t want to waste time on some dorky new age show if all your friends are using Netflix to binge-watch “Stranger Things.” Find shows that interest you. Popular shows are always good, but then you probably don’t want to stumble on some new American drama your friend decided to get into after bingeing all 6 seasons of “House M.D.”
3- Focus on speaking and listening skills while watching the series!
Listen to the dialogue! Even when you’re watching along with subtitles, just making sure that what’s being said is grammatically understandable will help your brain absorb everything at a faster rate. See listening is a skill.
Understanding words is good for vocabulary expansion, but speaking English fluently can frequently be more rewarding than learning new terms. This might not hold true if it’s an overly popular show in both languages, obviously. Start developing spoken habits before actually hitting up with TV shows.
The easiest way to pick up spoken English with TV shows, regardless of the language they are in, is finding a few well-done transcripts or intros for each episode. You can find them on YouTube once you become familiar enough! Note that instead of watching linear programs like Netflix and Hulu will often have subbed versions within their systems as third-party services prep them automatically.
4- Stop looking words up in a dictionary while watching TV series!
Though it can be very rewarding to learn new words, looking them up every time you come across something that sounds unfamiliar is a pointless endeavor. Focus on what’s being said! Much like reading texts out loud or listening to music, having files with mp3s for shows helps us focus better. Once you’ve got the hang of things, then switch over to written material.
5- Repeat Sentences while watching TV series!
It’s very easy to over-analyze things, so get in the habit of quickly repeating what you hear. You can even do it out loud if your attention starts wandering!
Or try shouting them loudly while eyeballing the subtitles. This will connect you to the story more. This will help you learn the correct word order and is an excellent way of absorbing language into your brain until it becomes firmly embedded in long-term memory.
How to learn English from TV series
Learning English from TV series is a great way to improve your language skills. Firstly, choose a TV series that you enjoy and are interested in. Next, turn on the English subtitles so you can read along with the dialogue. This will help you to understand the pronunciation and meaning of the words. Listen carefully to the characters’ accents and intonation, and try to imitate them.
You can also pause the show and repeat the dialogue to practice your speaking skills. Finally, after each episode, take some time to review new vocabulary and grammar structures that you learned. With consistent practice, watching TV series can be a fun and effective way to learn English.
6 best shows to learn English
I will recommend 6 good series to learn English:
It’s a sitcom. Though it is an American show, English subtitles have been available from the beginning so it should be no hassle to find them online. Interestingly enough there are 10 seasons of this! That’s hundreds of hours of English listening material if nothing else matters!
2- How I met your mother!
Not only is this show full of well-known actors, but it’s also filled with many interesting English phrases that you can use no matter what your place in the world! You can easily find full seasons if you google it. Make sure to also look for the original English version!
3- Doctor -Who!
When you hear the phrase “the face of an angel”, what immediately comes to mind? A young girl who would say “no” over and over again? This show centers around that sort of thing! There are lots of classic idioms with monsters, aliens, time travel, war or space. You can just relax with your headphones on for hours delighting in all the interesting lines being thrown at you!
4- The Big Bang Theory!
Now that’s an odd bunch of people and all their stories revolving around relationships and whatnot. Some may wish to watch the American version first But for those who want to use subtitles files instead such as Open Subtitles, any season of this show is there to keep the curious English learner entertained until the last episode. You can also find all seasons online with or without subtitles.
5- Sharp objects!
Sharp objects TV series is a great show if you want to keep alive the spirit of English language. Quotes from this daily drama will instill in your computer screen at home or office all kinds of wonderful ideas, phrases, and expressions that inevitably have been shed by the years onto our culture! It’s nice also to watch at night with a bit too much wine as it helps clarify things for you before going to bed.
Who doesn’t know this show now? Well, you might not know but there are quite a few people who are fans of David Tennant, especially girls. Who can help but be intrigued by the unique mixture of the fast talking tongue spoken in modern times to an acid-washed British accent? There are lots more moments where monologues using English idioms peacefully present themselves because you get attached very quickly with all sorts of interesting details.
I hope these 5 recommendations will assist you in your quest for learning English efficiently. If you still think that other series can help in English learning, send me a message and I will add them to this list. This list may be updated very soon due to discovering new shows that are just as effective.
The above mentioned ones are the best shows for learning English.
Best TV shows to learn English
There are many good TV shows for learning English, but some of the best ones include Friends, The Office, and Breaking Bad. Friends is a classic sitcom that is easy to follow and has a lot of everyday conversation that you can learn from.
The Office is another great show that is full of humor and is set in a workplace environment, which can teach you a lot of business-related vocabulary. Breaking Bad is a more serious show that is great for learning more advanced vocabulary and complex sentence structures.
It also has a lot of scientific jargon that can be useful if you are interested in that field. Ultimately, any TV show that you enjoy and find engaging can be a great tool for learning English.
Series for learning English for beginners
There are many great series available for learning English for beginners. One popular option is the “English for Everyone” series, which includes books and online resources for all levels of English learners. Another popular series is “Oxford English Grammar Course,” which focuses on the fundamentals of English grammar.
For those looking to improve their listening and speaking skills, “BBC Learning English” offers a variety of videos and audio lessons. Additionally, “Duolingo” is a popular app that uses gamification to teach English in a fun and interactive way. Overall, there are many great options available for beginners to start learning and improving their English language skills.
How to learn English with series steps
One effective way to learn English with series is to watch with subtitles in English. This will help you improve your listening skills and expand your vocabulary. You can also pause the show and look up any words or phrases that you don’t understand. Another helpful tip is to watch shows that are set in English-speaking countries or feature English-speaking characters.
This will expose you to slang, idioms, and cultural references that are commonly used in English. Finally, try to watch shows that are at your level of comprehension. If the show is too difficult, you may become frustrated and give up, but if it’s too easy, you won’t be challenged enough to learn something new.
Learn English Netflix pros
Learning English through Netflix has multiple advantages.
- It allows learners to immerse themselves in the language by watching shows and movies in their original language with subtitles. This helps learners to get accustomed to the flow of the language and the different accents and dialects.
- Netflix offers a diverse range of content, from documentaries to dramas, which allows learners to broaden their vocabulary and knowledge of different topics.
- Watching shows and movies on Netflix can be a fun and engaging way to learn English, making it more enjoyable and less of a chore.
Overall, learning English through Netflix can be an effective and enjoyable way to improve language skills.
Learn English TV series strategy
Watching English TV series is a great strategy to improve one’s English language skills. It provides an opportunity to immerse oneself in the language, learn new vocabulary, and improve listening and comprehension skills.
It is important to choose a TV series that matches one’s level of proficiency, and to watch it with subtitles in English. This helps to reinforce the learning process and enables one to understand how words and expressions are used in context.
Additionally, it is helpful to take notes while watching, and to practice speaking aloud to improve pronunciation and fluency. Consistency is key, so setting a regular schedule for watching and practicing is important to achieve success in learning English through TV series.
Learn English with TV series website
Learning English with TV series is a great way to improve your language skills. There are many websites available that provide this service. These websites offer a variety of TV series that are suitable for different levels of English learners.
The series are often accompanied by subtitles, which can help you understand the dialogue better. Additionally, you can pause and rewind the episodes to focus on specific parts that you find challenging. The advantage of using a website to learn English with TV series is that you can access it from anywhere and at any time. This makes it a convenient and flexible way to improve your language skills.
There are several websites that offer a great selection of TV series and help you learn English at the same time. One of the best options is Netflix, which offers a wide range of TV shows and movies with English subtitles. Another great option is Hulu, which offers a mix of popular TV shows and original content.
Additionally, websites like BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 offer British TV shows with English subtitles, which can help you improve your understanding of different accents and dialects. Ultimately, the best website for you will depend on your personal preferences and the type of content you are looking for.
TV series learn English benefits
Watching TV series to learn English can be very beneficial as it offers a fun and engaging way to improve language skills. TV series provide a great opportunity to learn new vocabulary, idioms, and expressions that are commonly used in everyday conversations. By watching TV series, learners can also improve their listening and comprehension skills by hearing native speakers talk at a natural pace.
Furthermore, TV series can help learners understand different accents and dialects, which can be invaluable when communicating with people from different regions. In addition, watching TV series can be a great way to learn about the culture and customs of English-speaking countries. Overall, incorporating TV series into an English learning routine can be an effective and enjoyable way to improve language skills.
Best TV shows to learn English for beginners
Below are the best series to learn English for beginners:
- “Friends” – This sitcom is known for its simple language and everyday conversations, making it easier for beginners to understand.
- “The Office” – This mockumentary-style show features clear and concise dialogue, perfect for improving comprehension skills.
- “Breaking Bad” – This drama series offers a mix of casual and formal language, helping beginners familiarize themselves with different speech patterns.
- “Sherlock” – This detective series offers a more advanced level of English, but its engaging storyline and clear enunciation can assist beginners in improving listening skills.
1. Can I learn English from TV series?
Yes, you can definitely learn English from TV series. Watching TV series in English can help improve your listening and comprehension skills, as well as your vocabulary and pronunciation. It exposes you to different accents, colloquial expressions, and cultural references.
However, it is important to supplement your learning with other resources like textbooks, language courses, and speaking practice to develop a well-rounded understanding of the language.
2. What series to watch for learning English?
Here are some good TV shows for learning English:
- Friends is a popular choice for improving English due to its conversational dialogue and everyday vocabulary.
- Breaking Bad is a great option for more advanced learners as it features complex vocabulary and scientific terminology.
- The Office (US) is a good choice for improving comprehension of American accents and cultural references.
- Game of Thrones can be helpful for improving understanding of medieval-style language and vocabulary.
3. How to use TV shows to teach English?
- Select TV shows that have clear and understandable dialogue.
- Use subtitles or closed captions to help learners follow along and understand the dialogue.
- Pause the show at certain points to discuss and explain vocabulary, grammar, or cultural references.
- Assign related activities or discussions based on the content of the TV show to reinforce learning and encourage conversation.
4. Which is the best TV channel to learn English?
The best TV channel to learn English may vary depending on individual preferences and needs. However, some popular channels for learning English include BBC World News, CNN International, and National Geographic.
These channels often have a wide range of programs that cover various topics, providing opportunities to improve listening skills, expand vocabulary, and learn about different cultures.
Additionally, channels like Discovery Channel and History Channel can also be beneficial as they often use clear and concise language in their documentaries.
Ultimately, it is important to explore different channels and find the one that aligns with your learning goals and interests.
5. Can you learn English by watching TV series?
- Watching TV series can help improve your listening comprehension skills.
- Exposure to a variety of accents and vocabulary can expand your understanding of the language.
- Following subtitles can help you learn new words and phrases.
- It can be a fun and engaging way to practice English.
6. What TV show should I watch to learn English?
- Friends is a popular choice for improving English language skills.
- The Office (US) is a great option for learning conversational English.
- Breaking Bad offers a chance to learn more advanced vocabulary and understanding of American culture.
- How I Met Your Mother is a good choice for learning colloquial English and slang.
These are the best series to learn English Netflix.
7. How to learn English with TV shows?
- Choose TV shows that interest you and that have clear dialogue.
- Use subtitles in English to help you understand and learn new vocabulary.
- Repeat phrases and sentences out loud to practice pronunciation and intonation.
- Challenge yourself by gradually reducing the use of subtitles and increasing the speed of the dialogue.
8. Which English series help to learn English?
There are many English series that can help you learn English, and it really depends on your level and interests. Here are a few popular options:
- Friends: This classic sitcom is great for learning conversational English and American slang.
- The Office: This mockumentary-style show is great for learning business English and workplace vocabulary.
- Breaking Bad: This drama series is great for learning more advanced vocabulary and understanding complex plotlines.
- Game of Thrones: This epic fantasy series is great for learning more formal English and understanding different accents and dialects.
- Sherlock: This mystery series is great for learning British English and understanding complex dialogue and wordplay.
Remember, watching English series alone won’t make you fluent in English. It’s important to practice speaking and writing in English regularly, and consider taking classes or finding a language exchange partner to improve your skills.
9. Can I learn English from series?
- Watching English series can help improve your listening and comprehension skills.
- Series can expose you to a variety of accents and colloquial language.
- Subtitles can help you understand new vocabulary and grammar structures.
- Watching series can also help you learn cultural nuances and improve your overall fluency.
10. Can I learn English by watching Friends series?
- Watching Friends can help improve your English listening skills.
- You can learn new vocabulary and phrases from the show.
- It can help you understand American culture and idioms.
- However, it may not be enough to fully learn English and should be supplemented with other language-learning methods.
11. How to learn English with TV series?
- Choose a TV series that you are interested in and that has English subtitles.
- Watch each episode with subtitles and try to understand the dialogues.
- Repeat and practice the new vocabulary and expressions you learn.
- Gradually decrease the use of subtitles as you improve your listening skills.
12. What are some good series to learn English?
- “Friends” is a popular and entertaining series for learning conversational English.
- “The Office” is a great choice for learning business vocabulary and workplace culture.
- “Breaking Bad” has complex dialogue and can help with advanced vocabulary and comprehension.
- “Stranger Things” is a fun and engaging option for improving listening and comprehension skills.
In conclusion, learning English through TV series can be an effective and enjoyable way to improve your language skills. By choosing shows with clear and understandable dialogue, using subtitles, and actively engaging with the content, you can enhance your vocabulary, grammar, and comprehension.
Additionally, watching TV series can expose you to different accents and cultural nuances, making your language learning experience more immersive and authentic. So, why not grab some popcorn and start streaming your favorite English-language TV series today?
- Why You Should Learn English with TV Series. (n.d.).
- 6 Reasons Why Watching Television Can Improve your English. (2023, May 31). The FUTURE of Learning.